Department of Science & Technology Studies
room: 307 Morrill Hall
On Leave Fall 2017
- Ph.D., Department of Sociology, University of Konstanz, Germany
- M.A., Sociology of Contemporary Culture, University of York, England
- B.A., International Relations, Schiller International University
- Science & Technology Studies
Dr. Christine Leuenberger's research is specialized in Science & Technology Studies, qualitative methods, sociology of medicine, classical and contemporary sociological theory, sociology of knowledge, interactional sociology, sociology of culture, gender studies, transformation studies of Eastern Europe, Middle Eastern Studies, Peace Studies, and the sociology and history of the human and behavioral sciences. Her current research projects focus on the social impact of the West Bank Barrier and on the history and sociology of the human sciences in the Middle East.
Recent Media Exposure and Outreach Activities
- "From the Iron curtain to Metal Fences: The Renaissance of Hard Borders in Europe," for Eutopia: Ideas for Europe Magazine, Sept 9, 2015
Imurenge.com, "Abarimu ba kaminuza ya Cornell y'I New York mu Minembwe kwigisha", Feb 16, 2015, http://www.imurenge.com/abarimu-ba-kaminuza-ya-cornell-yi-new-york-mu-minembwe-kwigisha/.
Haaretz, למה הקו הירוק נעלם ממפת משרד השיכון? (Why the Green Line disappeared from the Map of the Ministry of Housing), Sept 30 2014, http://www.haaretz.co.il/captain/net/.premium-1.2441158
- Cornell Chronicle, "Cornell Perspectives: Hopelessness as Luxury in Jerusalem," http://news.cornell.edu/stories/s014/09/cornell-perspectives-hopelessness-luxury-jerusalem
- BBC, "The Politics of Making Maps," June 5, 2014, http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20140602-the-politics-of-making-maps
"A new age of walls", in Eutopia: Ideas For Europe Magazine, May 12, 2014, http://www.eutopiamagazine.eu/en/christine-leuenberger/issue/new-age-walls.
Geography Directions, "Maps as Politics", May 7, 2014, http://blog.geographydirections.com/2014/05/07/maps-as-politics/
Le Monde nest pas rond, "On Fences and Neighbours", April 17, 2014, http://mondepasrond.net/2014/04/18/do-fences-make-good-neighbors/
- The Jordan Times, "An Inventive, New Take on the Wall," January 7, 2014, http://jordantimes.com/an-inventive-new-take-on-the-wall
- Cornell Chronicle, "Leuenberger Engages Palestinians," December 5, 2013, http://news.cornell.edu/essentials/2013/12/leuenberger-engages-palestinians
Cornell Chronicle, "Leuenberger leaps genre barriers", September 12, 2013, http://news.cornell.edu/essentials/2013/09/leuenberger-leaps-genre-barriers
The Daily Star, Lebanon, "Exploring the Palestinian side of the Separation Wall", August 24. 2013, http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Culture/Books/2013/Aug-24/228523-exploring-the-palestinian-side-of-the-separation-wall.ashx#axzz2d0bDBWt1
- "Uncharted Territory: Amateur Cartographers Fight to Put Their Communities on the Map," by Kate Collins. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-08/05/slum-mapping-google-maps-cartography
- "Google Maps Schaut Durch Die Israelische Brille," in Zeit Online.
Science & Technology Policy Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) 2015-present
Faculty Fellow at Engaged Learning & Research: http://www.elr.cornell.edu/faculty-fellows/fellowship-cohorts/2014-cohort/christine-leuenberger
Recent Courses Taught
- Fall 2015 - (STS 4951) Social Studies of the Human Sciences
M: 10:10-12:05, 4 credits
- Fall 2015 - (STS 6311) Qualitative Research Methods for Studying Science
M: 2:30-4:25, 4 credits
- Spring 2015 - (STS 4301) Social Studies of Space, Technologies and Borders
T: 10:10-12:05, 4 Credits
- Spring 2015 - (STS 6311) Qualitative Research Methods for Studying Science
T: 2:30-4:25, 4 Credits
- Fall 2014 - (BSOC/STS 3111) Sociology of Medicine
MW: 1:25-2:15, 4 Credits
- Fall 2014 - (STS 4951) Social Studies of the Human Sciences
W: 10:10-12:05, 4 Credits
- Spring 2014 - (BSOC/STS 3111) Sociology of Medicine
MW: 1:25-2:15, 4 Credits
- Spring 2014 - (STS 6311) Qualitative Research Methods for Studying Science
W: 10:10-12:05, 4 Credits
"Knowledge-Making and its Politics in Conflict Regions: Doing Research in Israel/Palestine" Special Issue on Contributions from European Symbolic Interactionists: Reflections on Methodsfor Studies of Symbolic Interaction, 44 (2015): 19-41. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/S0163-239620150000044003
"Building a Neo-liberal Palestinian State under Closure: The Economic and Spatial Implications of Walls and Barriers" (with Ahmad Al-Atrash), Economic Sociology European Electronic Newsletter 16/2, 2015: 21-31. http://econsoc.mpifg.de/downloads/16_2/leuenberger_16_2.pdf
"Mosquitos don't carry Visas: Walls, Environments and the Hope for Cooperation in Palestine-Israel" (with Ahmad El-Atrash), Palestine-Israel Journal: Natural Resources and the Arab-Israeli Conflict, Vol.19 No.4,&Vol.20 No.1, 2014. http://www.pij.org/details.php?id=1579
- "Technologies, Practices and the Reproduction of Conflict: The Impact of the West Bank Barrier on Peace Building", in Elisabeth Vallet (eds.) Borders, Fences and Walls: State of Insecurity? Ashgate (Burlington, VT). 2014: 211-230
- "Mapping Genres and Geopolitics: The Case of Israel" (with Izhak Schnell). Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers. Article first published online: 20 Mar 2014. Available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/tran.12052/abstract
- "The Rhetoric of Maps: International Law as a Discursive Tool in Visual Arguments", in Law & Ethics of Human Rights (2013) 7/1: 73-107. Available at: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/lehr.2013.7.issue-1/lehr-2013-0002/lehr-2013-0002.xml?format=INT
- "On Fences and Neighbors", in Olivia Snaije and Mitchell Albert (eds.) Keep Your Eye on the Wall: Palestinian Landscapes (London: Saqi Books): 2013. Also available in French Keep your eye on the Wall (Garde un oeil sur le mur): Paysages Palestiniens (Editions Textuel, France): 2013.
- "Map-Making for Palestinian State-Making", Arab World Geographer / Le Géographe du monde arabe, Vol 16, no 1 (2013) 54-74.
- "Mapping Israel/Palestine: Constructing National Territories across Different International Newspapers", Bulletin du Centre de recherche français à Jérusalem [En ligne], 23 | 2012, mis en ligne le 20 janvier 2013, Consulté le 15 avril 2013. URL: http://bcrfj.revues.org/6859
- "Building Walls in August: Psychological Constructions of the Berlin Wall and the West Bank Barrier", in special issue: "The Semiotics of August in the 20th Century", New Literary Observer (in Russian). 116/4. 2012. Кристин Лойенбергер, "Стены воздвигаются в августе, Новое" литературное обозрение №116 (4/2012). Семиотика августа в XX веке. URL: http://www.nlobooks.ru/node/2531
- The Self as Project: Politics and the Human Sciences. Osiris, 22, (co-edited with Greg Eghigian and Andreas Killan). Chicago: Chicago University Press, 2007.
- Erving Goffman. Rede-Weisen: Formen der Kommunikation in sozialen Situationen (co-edited with Hubert Knoblauch and Bernt Schnettler). Konstanz: UVK Verlagsgelsellschaft, 2005.
- "From the Berlin Wall to the West Bank Barrier: How material objects and psychological theories can be used to construct individual and cultural traits", in Katharina Gerstenberger and Jana Braziel (eds.) (2011) After the Berlin Wall: Germany and Beyond (Palgrave Macmillan).
- "The West Bank Wall as Canvas: Art and Graffiti in Palestine/Israel," Palestine-Israel Journal: Jerusalem - In the Eye of the Storm, 17 (1&2), 2011.
- "The Politics of Maps: Constructing National Territories in Israel" (with Izhak Schnell), Social Studies of Science, 2010: 40/6: 803-842. Also published Online First, September 1, 2010 as doi:10.1177/0306312710370377.
- Cultures of Categories: Psychological Diagnoses as Institutional and Political Projects Before and After the Transition from State Socialism in 1989 in East Germany," Osiris, 22. Chicago: Chicago University Press, 2007.
- "Introduction: The Self as a Political and Scientific Project in the 20th Century" (with Greg Eghigian and Andreas Killan), Osiris, 22. Chicago: Chicago University Press, 2007.
- "Constructions of the Berlin Wall: How Material Culture is used in Psychological Theory", Social Problems. 53/1. February 2006: 18-37.